Connect with us

Local Soccer

Springfield 4-2 Central Rovers



Springfield hoping to put last Saturday’s defeat behind them when they welcomed Central Rovers to a sunny Cobh for their league tie.
James Stoat had the first clear chance of the game after 7min when a long kick from Springers keeper Eddy Walsh was flicked past his opposite number by the ever busy Stoat but unable to get enough power the shot was taken off the line by a covering defender. Two mins later another Stoat shot was deflected, saved by the feet of the keeper and Andy Hogan following onto the rebounder was unable to keep his shot low, saw his shot sail over the bar. Central then gave a hind of what was to come when their first clear chance after Springfield were unable to clear the ball dropped to a Rovers striker who also saw his effort sail over the bar. Luke Quinn was unlucky not to break the deadlock when his header was the next to go over the bar. It was on the 25th minute when Shane Geasley found the net with a free kick from outside the box cleared the wall and beat the Rovers keeper, 1-0.

Three min later Kevin Wilmot made it two to the Cobh team when he met a great cross from Jamie Britton, 2-0.

42 min James Stoat grabbed the third when he ran onto a through ball and finished well, 3-0. One minute later almost straight from the restart Central did get a goal back with a shot that beat Walsh and went in off the crossbar. 3-1 at the break. Five min into the half Central continued the way they finished the first, and were unlucky not to get their second when a free header again went over the bar. Just after that Britton fed Cormac Downing whose cross was met well by Wilmot only to be deflected out for a corner. 10 mins later the Springfield management team need a fresh pair of legs and an experienced head so they turned to Stephen Bruton to settle the home team. Bruton made an almost immediate impact when his shot from distance tested the Rovers net minder, but he just got enough behind the ball to keep it out. When asked about the shot after the game, Bruton modest as always, was unwilling to comment.

72 min Central’s hard work paid off to make it 3-2 with a shot to the top right corner of the Springfield goal. Central kept up the pressure but the next 3 shots at goal all went to the home team with Stoat seeing two efforts go wide of the frame and the Rovers keeper again getting his body behind a shot from distance this time from Geasley. With some great play from Britton keeping the ball in the corner on 90 minutes waiting for the whistle, he managed to get a cross into substitute Pádí Kearney whose shot was blocked, landing at the feet of fellow substitute Glenn Kavanagh, and the ball was struck into the visitors net to make it 4-2 at the stroke of full time. A hard battle and a well earned 3 points for the Hoops.

Best for Springfield Geasley & Stoat with a Man of the Match performance from Jamie Britton. Next up for Springers another home League tie next Sunday morning against Waterloo. Social distancing support welcome.

Scorers: (S.Geasley, K.Wilmot, J.Stoat, G.Kavanagh)

Continue Reading

Trending Locally