Connect with us

Local Soccer

Cork AUL League One result: Springfield AFC 4-0 Central Rovers



28/08/18: Springfield AFC 4-0 Central Rovers.

After a disappointing start to the season, Springers returned to league action in Pat O’Brien park with their fourth game in nine days. Central Rovers, fresh off the back of a 4-0 win against last season’s runners up at the weekend, were the visitors in what marks the end of the early season Midweek games.

Amidst an injury crisis described by Springers assistant manager Damien Byrne as “unprecedented”, there was seven changes to the team that started versus Dunbar last weekend. A chance for some new blood to stake their claim and they didn’t disappoint.

Springfield started the game lively, playing up the WestView-esque hill and had the Rovers defence on the back foot. A front three of David Cummins, Stephen Walsh and Glenn Kavanagh were causing all sorts of problems with clever runs in behind. The first chance coming when Cummins beat the offside trap but the opposing keeper did well to smother the ball. The breakthrough came for Springers when a pinpoint free kick from Danny Langford found Cummins at the back post whose ball across the box was converted by Jamie Britton. Moments later a threaded through ball from Dave O’Rourke found the onrushing Kavanagh but his snap shot was matched by the Central Keeper.

The chances kept coming for the home side with the midfield trio of Langford, O’Rourke and Britton dominating proceedings, as Stephen Walsh with one of his trademark diagonal runs broke the defensive line and rifled home with a left foot volley to make it 2-0. The away side tried to rally a comeback but a resolute defence of Dave Devlin, Bryan Stack, Butch Fingleton and Tim Crowley dealt with everything thrown their way. During these advances from the away side Springers mounted a quick counter when a long Dave Devlin pass was misjudged by the Rovers defender and the mercurial Britton was on hand to cooly slot past the keeper for his second and put the game to bed at halftime.

The second half saw Central Rovers with nothing to lose go for broke and forced the Springfield keeper into some vital saves. He duly obliged to help out his back four with a one on one save to claim the illusive clean sheet. With some fresh legs needed, Kevin Fitzpatrick and Dean Moran were introduced. It wasnt long before Fitzpatrick, as he did on numerous occasions last season made an impact from the bench. A sweet cross from David Cummins now operating on the left was clinically finished by Fitzpatrick to round off a great performance all-round for Springers.

Next up for Springfield is a trip to Fairfield next Sunday morning to take on last seasons runners up – Cathedral Celtic.

Continue Reading

Trending Locally