Connect with us

Local Soccer

Munster Senior League Result: Glasheen 1-2 Cobh Wanderers.



_MG_600x400A massively depleted senior squad did well to come away from Bishopstown with all three points and in the process keep an excellent run of league results going. This result owes much to the hard work of Mikey O’ Shea in the middle of the park and the tireless running of team captain Conor Meade up front. Most of what Glasheen produced going forward was ably dealt with by the solid partnership of Meade, Fitzgerald and O’ Shea.

Wanderer’s first chance fell to Stapleton following a back header from a Glasheen defender. Chubbs found himself through on the keeper and curled the ball, with the outside of his right boot, just outside the far post. A minute later Nolan advanced down the left wing and chipped a cross that almost ended in the net, just missing the top corner. It only took a minute more for the visitors to take the lead. Mikey O’ Shea worked the ball well from the right and slipped it to Shane Geasley just inside the box. Geasley turned sharply and curled a left footer round the big Glasheen keeper to the corner of the net for a great finish. Wanderers were well in control of the game but let in a sort equalizer to give the home team a boost they didn’t deserve.

A cross from the left on 13 minutes wasn’t claimed by Greene and the forward nipped in to head to the net. On 17 minutes Greene hit a long clearance which was nicely cushioned by Stapleton who put a super cross over from the right to pick out O’ Shea. Mikey’s effort was blocked but the move deserved better. Next Geasley found himself unchallenged with the ball at his feet and he let fly from distance. The ball went outside of the post with the keeper rooted to the spot. Two minutes before half time Wanderers took the lead again when Meade latched onto a terrible kick out from the Glasheen keeper. He rounded a defender and crossed from the left to pick out the run of Stapleton who finished from close in.

Mikey O’ Shea had the last effort of the half but he lifted the ball just outside the corner of the goal frame. A quarter of an hour into the second half Stapleton found Meade with a ball from the left. Meade hit a dipping volley which the keeper saved easily. Five minutes later Timmy O’ Shea had to work really hard to advance the ball out from the back. His long pass up the right found Chubbs and he in turn chipped the ball to Meade. Meade cut inside the defener and rolled the ball across to Stapleton who flicked it up and volleyed wide. A minute later it was Geasley’s turn to lash over with a clear sight of goal.

The constant danger was a possible counter attack from Glasheen with only the slimmest of margins between the teams. Nolan and Thompson were doing their best to keep Wanderers going forward with their runs down the wings. One of these runs saw Thompson latch onto a long pass from Stapleton out of defence. Adam’s final pass had too much weight on it and went all the way to the keeper.

The last chance of the game came following a corner from the right which was met with a powerful header by Brian Fitzgerald but his effort flew just wide. There was much relief at the final whistle to have a potentially dangerous away game out of the way. Next up is Tramore in the league at home next Saturday.
Scorers: Shane Geasley 5, Ian Stapleton 43. Glasheen: 13th minute

Team: Jason Greene, Adam Thompson, Peter Nolan, John Meade, Brian Fitzgerald, Kyle Downing, Shane Geasley, Mikey O’ Shea, Conor Meade, Ian Stapleton, Timmy O’ Shea.

Continue Reading

Trending Locally