Connect with us

Local GAA

Cobh GAA Notes 30-06-13



GAA_EmblemPreperation for Cobh’s Opening Round of the East Cork Hurling Championship couldn’t have gone any better with six wins from six in the league but unfortunately a championship upset was the main course served to the on lookers in Carrigtwohill.

On what was a nervy affair for both teams, St. Itas opened proceedings in the second minute when Cork’s Seamus Harnedy pointed a free. Cobh trying very hard in the opening sages saw a lot of their attempts veer wide but seemed to look the more dangerous of the two sides. Cobh’s opening point came from Adam Mc Carthy, who was Cobh’s shining light on the day as he enjoyed great space in the corner of the field. This was followed by Liam Greaney finishing a great move to get his name on the scoresheet. Cobh’s Backs dealt well with the imposing threat of Seamus Harnedy with Seamus Ryan notably catching a clearing an amount of ball from the full back line. Lee Murphy pointed from the wing to level the tie and Dave Mc Carthy was very unlucky not to goal when a stray ball fell to him but he had to settle for a point as he saw his strike float just over the bar.

Cobh did goal shortly after this as a goal mount fracas saw the ball land to championship debutant Alan Tierney and his forceful ground strike rattled the back of the net to give Cobh the edge in this tie. However Cobh were unable to grasp this tie by the neck and Seamus Harnedy set up a goal for Ita’s just before half time to keep this tie well and truly on a knifes edge.

The second half saw discipline play a major role as the vast majority of scores from both sides came from placed ball. Allen Walley saw yellow in the opening stages of the second half as Seamus Harnedy began to grow into this game. Adam Mc Carthy scored some lovely frees from the wing to answer Seamus Harnedy’s placed balls with no team taking control of the game midway into the second half.

Cobh led precariously entering the final stages of this game but the tie looked to be fading away from the harbour side when Harnedy raised the green flag in the 54th minute. It went from bad to worse in the closing stages and Allen Walley tested the referees nerve and received his second yellow which reduced the Cobh side to fourteen men.

Adam Mc Carthy pointed a free in the closing stages to bring Ita’s lead to the minimum and Cobh did get an opportunity to level the tie but unfortunately the distance was too far for Cian Spriggs as he saw his attempt fall shy of the mark. St. Itas hung on in the end to claim Championship victory which shellshocked the Cobh side who will feel they left their hurling in the dressing room. Cobh now face the back door route in order to progress in this years championship.

Cobh Team: Conor Mc Dowall, Martin O’ Connor, Seamus Ryan, Rory O’ Connell, Eoin Wilson, Allen Walley, Stephen Kearney (capt.), Kieran Histon, Brian Aherne (55), Cian Spriggs, Liam Greaney, Lee Murphy, Adam Mc Carthy, Alan Tierney, Dave Mc Carthy.

Substitutes: Thomas Mc Grath (55)

Scorers for Cobh: Adam Mc Carthy (0-8, 0-07 from frees), Alan Tierney (1-00), Cian Spriggs (0-02, 0-01 from frees), Liam Greaney (0-02), Brian Aherne (0-01), Lee Murphy (0-01), Dave Mc Carthy (0-01)

Continue Reading

Trending Locally